Being a senior in college faced with the rest of the world in my corner, I have thought long and hard about what path to take on my journey to success and adulthood. I know for certain that I am an innovator who wants to shake up the marketing world and create a new lane. When it comes to branding, it is important that your product or service stands apart from the rest. In my case, I’m branding myself as well as my products and services. For the sake of this article, I will only highlight my major keys for branding yourself competitively. However, it should be noted that these tips can very well apply to your product or service as well.
- Find what makes you unique. What’s the difference between LeBron and Jordan? They both sell shoes, are well known basketball players, and have a cultural impact. The difference is in age, style of play, looks, backgrounds, etc. When in the same league, it is important to highlight what makes you… you! Which leads me to my second point.
- Be personable. The world probably knows that you’re great at what you do, but can they relate? It is important that people feel a connection with you. People tend to buy into the person before they buy into the vision.
- Don’t try to be everything to everyone. Find your niche and stick with it. People who try to appease everyone generally have a harder time building a following and they fail to promote themselves effectively. Have a distinct and consistent message to share and your brand will thank you for it.
- Take over social media. You should be creating new hashtags for your followers to engage in. You should comment, reply, and like what your followers are posting. Most of your competitors won’t be using social media effectively which gives you the opportunity to stay a few steps ahead and take over the market.
- Work with other people. To win a war, you need allies. Use your social media and networking skills to gain allies that can promote you. For example, if you’re a sports player why not engage with a sports analyst? The friendship might provide a potential news story.
It’s not hard to establish your brand. After you’ve identified your strengths and weaknesses, the real work comes during the promotional period. Using the tips provided above, I’m sure you won’t have any problems beating your competition.